1.4.22

That Vision Thing

Continuing the thread of contemplation on vision loss, blindness, and gaming, I posted a comment on a Sly Flourish YouTube video about being a blind DM. It was in response to another commenter who was curious about what that was like. Here is what I said...

'I am a blind DM as well. Lots of description, theater of the mind, players owning the dice rolls, and probably not too different from many tables with or without disabilities. Since I started as a DM in the mid-70s, I have constantly adjusted my style, aids, props etc, as we all do, and as I have lost vision, the adjustments continue.'

I have written about my play aids and so forth, but in essence It has been a slow reduction of the footprint of stuff at my end of the table. Some of what is driving this is philosophical or stylistic shifts, but the bigger driver is vision loss. Without the loss of vision would I have changed my approach to the same degree? 

My relationship with, and reluctant acceptance of, the visual constraints of my disability is complicated. How can I keep doing what I love, cooking, gaming, walking, doing things with family etc in ways that are not visually dependent? There is a shifting constellation of letting go, adoption, adaptation, denial, and stubbornness. Finding success and continuity in one area seems to translate into confidence and acceptance in other areas. My adaptations In my choices and approach to gaming seem to leak into other areas of my life, building patterns for continuity and confidence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment