26.4.24

Liberating Design Constraints

I was listening to a Third Floor interview with Cezar Capacle (#211) and they were talking eloquently about designing within the constraints of the systems they lived in and the constraints of the users, and the way they phrased it really resonated. The limitations of the production are just another design constraint. 
That got me really thinking about my disability as a design constraint rather than a pain in the ass limitation. Obviously my blindness puts limits on what I can do, but reframing it as a design constraint means that I think about it in the way I think about a wide variety of other design considerations, and not as an impediment. 

While I am still operating in highly visual media, one without much thought towards accessibility, I can compartmentalize those, in a way, so that my frustration is not grabbing the wheel of the design, nor is it a roadblock. My frustration can be separate, and the design can just be the design, with a set of constraints, like any work.

No comments:

Post a Comment